These were last week’s goals:
- Submit SWMF to the thing. DONE. Although I messed up the submission slightly. I am trying not to let myself feel too bad about that. In getting the submission together, I wrote a synopsis and polished the first 8,000 words, which means that next time I need to do something with the novel, it will be that much easier.
- Work on SWMF on seven days. I managed six days out of seven.
- Print out the YA novel ready for reading next weekend. DONE. Although I don’t think it’s going to get read this weekend, because I’ll be working all weekend.
Goals for the coming week:
- Read through the YA novel and decide if I want to rewrite it in a different tense.
- Work on SWMF on seven days. This is going to be harder now, because I need to start drafting again – up to this point I have either been figuring things out in my notebook or editing and polishing existing text. New words are so much more daunting! So a reminder to self: I only have to do ten minutes if I want. But those ten minutes are important.
- Decide on another competition to enter or submission process, and work on it for at least 2 x 30 minutes.
Last week when I posted to my writing filter on facebook, one person said that maybe monthly goals were more appropriate for her than weekly ones. My feeling here is that whatever works for you is most appropriate, and certainly her goals were very impressive! Anyway, I started wondering what my monthly goals would be, and whether it would be a good way to bridge the gap between huge/yearly goals and smaller weekly targets.
Heh. Maybe I’m starting to sound like a project manager. Anyway, off the top of my head: some monthly goals for February:
- Enter SWMF for the thing that shall not be named. (Yes, I already did it, but it’s a big one, so I’m not leaving it off the list.)
- Get started either writing or rewriting the YA novel.
- Draft four new scenes in SWMF. I have a list of about 75 scenes, some of which will probably end up being combined. But I need to stop worrying about them and start writing.
- Enter another writing competition or submit something somewhere.
To anyone reading, do you set monthly or weekly goals, or a combination? Feel free to share them in the comments!