So these were last week’s goals:
- Finish the current draft of the YA novel. DONE.
- Work on SWMF on seven days. DONE
- Write/finish a synopsis for SWMF. DONE
- Enter a writing competition of some kind. Not done – but I am getting together a submission for SWMF, which is what I have been working on every day. Should be done over the weekend.
I’m pretty pleased with that lot. 🙂 Especially finishing the draft, as it’s draft 3 and I feel like I finally have enough of the story in place for the rest to be editing rather than rewriting. Which is so much more fun. Drafting is like walking across a tightrope and being unable to see the other end – you just have to trust that you’re doing the right thing and keep going, despite feeling sick and dizzy with uncertainty and fear.
Editing, for me, feels like finishing a sculpture: the essential shape is there, and you are chipping away pieces (some tiny, some large) so that the form gradually emerges in all its beauty.
Not that I’ve ever walked a tightrope or created a sculpture. But I do have an extremely active imagination.
Onto this week’s goals:
- Submit SWMF to the thing. I don’t want to clarify what the thing is because I will jinx it (not that I have a hope of getting anywhere with it, but still, I am determined to try).
- Work on SWMF on seven days.
- Print out the YA novel ready for reading next weekend.
Onward. Wishing everyone else the best with their goals! Feel free to comment below if you want some accountability. 🙂