Weekly report

My goals for last week:

  • Work on the YA novel and the DLN for at least three ten-minute sessions each – six days out of seven.
  • On one of those six days, do two ten-minute sessions.

Result: I did it. Admittedly, I did the two sessions this morning, but I’ll take it as a win. 🙂

I’m really pleased, because if anything, the pressure of work piled up even more this week. I seriously need a day off, or even a half day, and there is a small possibility that I’ll manage that this weekend. And yet in the midst of that, I have managed to get some writing done.

Good writing things that happened this week:

1. I pushed on with planning the DLN, and feel I’ve made a breakthrough with a huge gap in events.

2. I finished a new scene in the YA novel.

3. Two drafts back in the YA novel, I planted a tiny descriptive detail for verisimilitude. As I was writing this week, that detail suddenly created a HUGE payoff – the kind that sends shivers of glee down your back. A true “I love writing” moment. 🙂

4. I’ve been extending the ten-minute approach to other areas of my life (mainly paperwork and cleaning), and it’s bearing dividends there, too.

So, goals for next week:

1. Work on the YA novel and the DLN for at least three ten-minute sessions each (so write on six days at least).

2. On two of those days, do two ten-minute sessions.

3. In the spirit of squeezing more writing into my day, I signed up to Monica Leonelle’s 8×8 challenge (#8minutewritinghabit on twitter). I’ve already completed day 1 (today), which was to set a timer and write for 8 minutes. I’ll report back on how the other seven days went next week!

If you’re reading this and want to comment and let me know your own goals, please do so!

Weekly update

OK, rather than keep posting constant “OMG I wrote 200 words!” updates, I thought I’d keep it to one post. 🙂 So, my goal for the week was to work on both the YA novel and the DLN for three sessions of ten minutes each. And the result…

I did it! Three sessions each, starting on Sunday. It’s both interesting and frustrating: I’ve made a little progress, but not much. Even so, as I said last week, it’s more than I’d probably have managed otherwise. And another big benefit is that both books are fresh in my mind, so I don’t spend ages trying to get back inside the heads of my characters.

Goals for next week:

I’m still floundering in lesson planning, so am going to increase this very gradually:

  1. As with last week, work on the YA novel and the DLN for at least three ten-minute sessions each – six days out of seven.
  2. On one of those six days, do two ten-minute sessions.

If anyone reading this wants to post their own writing goals for the week, please feel free!

Another progress report

Thursday: 10 minutes planning character motivations – nearly finished David.

Friday: 10 minutes working on the YA novel – 120 words. Not as many as previously, but I started a new scene which required lots of envisioning. Exciting to finally be in a new location in the novel!

Goals for next week:

Consolidation, I think. So work on the YA novel for at least three ten-minute bursts, and work on the DLN for at least three ten-minute bursts.